This is both sad and bad news, I was actually hoping for Apple to be full steam ahead, even in this economy. But as Ballmer just said ” Paying an extra $500 for a computer in this environment — same piece of hardware and paying $500 more to get a logo on it?” has quite a bit of truth to it. I’ve been playing a little bit with this Macbook I have here, trying to dig really deep into the operating system and trying to learn it. Honestly though I have no idea what all the hoopla is all about. I disassembled the thing to the last screw just to see what makes it tick, it doesn’t seem any better built than a $500 Acer, the components seem pretty much the same as well. Low end webcam, cheap Crucial RAM, slow/cheap-ass Toshiba 80GB hard drive (yes 80GB in a computer that’s barely a year old..crazy). It does feel more solid from the outside mainly due to the fact that Apple uses slightly thicker plastic housing, I don’t think there are any components in this Apple that are actually made by Apple, it’s just a simple China assembled PC laptop full of regular Chinese made parts you would find in any PC.
Granted it’s not one of the fancy new aluminum machines that everyone seems to have these days (this is an old 2Ghz, 1GB RAM white plastic model) but still.
The OS (it’s running Tiger) has crashed on me a handful of times now, even Firefox hung which is something I have never seen before on any platform. I find the OS illogical, network setup is a total pain in the ass, the one button thing is annoying as hell, it seems like the operating system is controlling you and not the other way around….hard to describe. Simple feature such as changing your mouse cursor to something larger are simply non existent.
Gonna go pick up Leopard this weekend, max out the RAM and stick a 320GB 7200RPM Seagate drive… hopefully it will speed things up a bit.
The Apple store people are so fucking polite and happy (and very helpful), almost in a creepy way!!!!!
….to be continued.
PS. I love the screensavers, even the stock ones look freakkin’ cool!!
Destination Jeep in North Vancouver.
So the lowdown is: both outter tie rods replaced, new pitman arm, center drag link, complete tire balance and toe adjust. When they plugged in the car’s computer the check engine light indicated a faulty EGR valve.
EGR valve explanation from Wiki:
“EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine’s exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. Intermixing the incoming air with recirculated exhaust gas dilutes the mix with inert gas, lowering the adiabatic flame temperature and (in diesel engines) reducing the amount of excess oxygen. The exhaust gas also increases the specific heat capacity of the mix, lowering the peak combustion temperature. Because NOx formation progresses much faster at high temperatures, EGR serves to limit the generation of NOx. NOx is primarily formed when a mix of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperatures.”
Just some bullshit emission control thing, apparently you lose quite a bit of gas mileage when this thing is fucked, glad it’s been replaced. There is still a faint noise coming from the transfer case or the rear diff, it happens very rarely but I know it’s there, they couldn’t find any fault. I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like owning this vehicle out of warranty, I might have to get an evening job. Jeep has ranked year after year as the LEAST reliable brand in North America. I still like this car, it’s big, fun to drive and it allows me to drive over anything and anyone. Can’t wait for some warmer weather and top down cruising.
My experience at this dealership has been very good once again, everyone is very helpful, expertly and most of all pleasant. Everything was covered by warranty and my car was cleaned from top to bottom. No money spent.
I can’t believe how incredibly efficient and awesome the transit system here is. I walked down to the closest bus stop I could find, opened up the Translink app on my iPhone. The GPS picked up my location and the stop I was at, I clicked where I wanted to go and boom….a cool little screen appears with a map and my bus’s ETA. I am not joking, the bus was less than 30 seconds behind schedule. I told the super nice driver that I was going to the North Van Jeep dealership, he knew exactly where and dropped me off right in front. Simply fantastic!!
If you can just go to a local fast food place and pick up a medium meat juice. Those stupid vegetarian Jugo Juice places all over the place, why the hell can’t you enjoy a beverage that tastes like pork?? A smoked salmon smoothie, a bacon soda???
I am sure there is a market for this stuff, hot or cold, meat-pulp or not……..yum.
I thought that this update would be released today, not so fast Chewy….gotta WAIT till summer.
This is what we’re gonna get, a few highlights.
1. Cut, copy and paste. Wow, finally they are adding something that should have been available since the iPhone’s inception. Apple has promised that I will finally be able to email more than one photo at a time. OMG OMG OMG, welcome to 5 years ago!!!!
2. MMS. Ohh dear God, who the fuck uses MMS anymore?? It’s a stupid billion year old standard for sending multimedia rich messages . WE HAVE SOMETHING REVOLUTIONARY CALLED E-MAIL NOW!!!!!!!
3. Phone wide search. I will finally be able to search through my emails. Cutting edge this is NOT! (My other jailbroken iPhone has had this for ages).
4. Stereo Bluetooth/A2DP. Again, something that alot of smartphones have had for years. I am sure this will be useful for some people but personally I hate bluetooth and find it slow and annoying to setup. (people who wear bluetooth headsets should have the thing shoved up their asses, be beaten then sent to a gulag)
5. Landscape keyboard in the mail app. Jeez, how long did that take to implement?? Very useful but it’s something that should have been there from the start. Every single app should work in both landscape and portait….ESPECIALLY THE DAMN KEYBOARD!!
6. Voice memo app. Slow down there Apple, there has been a free voice memo app available for ages..and it’s great!!
7. A media player that automatically adjusts quality for the bandwidth you have. This is a joke right????? This technology been around since people were trying to stream grainy porn over a modem connection in the 1980’s???
8. The Notes app will finally sync the info with my computer, holy shit…I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.
So yeah…the camera software is the same, no multitasking (which means still CANNOT have a fucking IM app running in the background), no video recording, no interface refresh, still no GPS app ..blah blah blah……
Once again thanx for nuthin’ Apple.
PS. Of course they added a bunch more stuff. Mostly crap that I don’t care about like parental controls, new dev stuff, a bunch of new APIs etc, and “in app purchases” which is kinda cool.